FileZilla is a free software, cross-platform FTP application, consisting of FileZilla Client and FileZilla Server. Setting up FileZilla to access your Digital Ocean droplet is very easy. There are multiple ways to access it e.g. FTP, SFTP, using interactive mode, entering password everytime using keyfile etc. We will use simplest method, using SFTP and entering password everytime we try to login.
Step#1 Install FileZilla
Please refer to How to Install FileZilla on Ubuntu post
Step#2 Start FileZilla
Once you start the application, you will see below screen
Step#3 Go to File->Site Manager
Step#4 Set up “New Site”
- Host” – you can find this information at your hosting provider. You can get ip by using following command ping <domainname.com>
- “Port” – You can leave this black, if you chose FTP, it will automatically select 21 and if you select SFTP, it will select 22.
- “Protocol” – protocol for exchanging files over any network. Please select”SFTP-SSH File Transfer Protocol”
- “Logon Type” – You can select whichever logon type is convenient to you. For now, please select “Ask for password”
- User: The username having required access
- Password: password
Don’t worry about any other tabs as of now.
Once done, clock on “Connect” and you will get connected to your Digital Ocean Droplet.
If you get any issue, please do let me know